Pacific Brewery (historic site, 1855)
An important figure of structural "soundnes" from its time, the brewery was amoung the first ‘fire-proof’ brick buildings with iron doors & shutters. This design confined the fire of 1861 to the inside of the building.
- Universally Accessible
One of four Gold Rush breweries in Weaverville, the Pacific Brewery building was built by Fred Walters in 1855. Walters sold to Lorenz and Hagelman in 1865. John Meckel bought the business from Lorenz in 1878. Meckel died in 1889, but the Meckel Bros. Brewery continued with his two sons John Jr. and Albert Christian until prohibition in 1919. U.S. Health bulletins proclaimed the Meckel Bros. beer “the purest and the best.” After 1919, the building sat idle, was used as a stage stop, feed storage and office until remodeled into a restaurant in the early 1970’s.
One of many noteable markers for National Register of Historic Places #71000209.